Quittintime: Attic Trusses / Shed Dormers

The entire forum is open to viewing. But you must Register if you wish to post.

Construction >> General Construction

Pages: 1
Steelart

Reged: Jul 05 2006
Loc: Colorado
Attic Trusses / Shed Dormers
      #9715 - Wed Jul 05 2006 02:49 PM

My first post ...
I'm building a fairly simple shop (24x32) and planned to put in attic trusses (14' clear space). Then I thought of putting in intersecting attic trusses (i.e. perpendicular to each other) so that the clear space in the attic would be in the shape of a cross (or Tee). However, I can't figure out how to accomplish the intersection without going to floor trusses as the bottom joist of the attic truss. Intersecting the attic trusses create an unsupported joist span of 19' (Tee) or 24' (Cross). Is there a way to do this without going to "stick built"?

I also considered putting in a wide shed dormer, but run into the same issue. BTW, can can prefabricated tusses be made with shed dormer profiles?

I'm looking for ideas. Thanks
Dan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TLE

Reged: Apr 30 2002
Loc: Southern Michigan
Re: Attic Trusses / Shed Dormers [Re: Steelart]
      #9724 - Fri Jul 07 2006 07:37 PM

I am not sure I fully understand what you are doing.

If you are looking to put "dog house" dormers of about 4 to 6 feet wide, double up your trusses each side of the dormer and fill in with conventional lumber perpendicular to the truss span.

An easier detail is to hold this "cross bracing" down an inch and a half and lay a 2x4 flat on the same on center spacing as your trusses. This will allow floor and roof sheating to go easier.

Terry

calvinAdministrator

Reged: Apr 29 2002
Loc: NW Ohio
      #9731 - Sat Jul 08 2006 07:07 AM

I sent out a call to the truss designer to see if he can help you figure this out.

--------------------
Remodeling Contractor just outside the Glass City

Boss_Hog

Reged: Mar 24 2005
Loc: Carlinville, Illinois
      #9732 - Sat Jul 08 2006 11:33 AM

Dormers with attic trusses are no big deal. The rule of thumb is a double truss for a dormer up to 6' wide, and a triple truss for a dormer up to 10' wide. (Codes may vary where you are, and it may depend on your loading requirements)

Attic trusses can NOT be made with a shed dormer profile made into them.

Generally (around here anyway) everything for the dormers is hand framed. But once in a while we come up with a way to build part of the trusses for the dormer - It depends on the size and shape of the dormer and what the customer wants.

If you go to a truss plant and explain what you want they can do a layout and 3D views to give you an idea of what it will look like. Assuming you find a designer with a reasonable attitude, of course.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 20472

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Quittintime