Quittintime: Potica (Poe-teet-sa)

The entire forum is open to viewing. But you must Register if you wish to post.

Cooking >> Cooking Gallery

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
calvinAdministrator

Reged: Apr 30 2002
Loc: NW Ohio
Re: Potica (Poe-teet-sa) [Re: calvin]
      #4160 - Sun Dec 08 2002 04:06 PM Attachment (286 downloads)

Eat it up!

--------------------
Remodeling Contractor just outside the Glass City

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kai

Loc: South Leftcoast USA
      #4161 - Sun Dec 08 2002 05:50 PM

Wow, am I impressed, Calvin! All you need is a close up of some slices, or a wedge. PLEASE consider submitting this to Fine Cooking.

calvinAdministrator

Re: Potica (Poe-teet-sa) [Re: kai]
      #4163 - Sun Dec 08 2002 06:58 PM Attachment (294 downloads)

Thanks kai, and here you go with the coup de gras (is that cooking talk?).

I think I'll stay right here at QT, they have that Mean Chef and Big somebody over there at CT. Not afraid mind you, just want to avoid a confrontation. I'd like to live to bake another day. Feel free to invite the nice ones over here.

--------------------

Carole

Reged: Apr 29 2002
      #4166 - Sun Dec 08 2002 11:31 PM

Calvin, when I get finished with my teaching duties, I will post her recipe.......I know how delicious it is and the memories that go with it........

kai

Loc: South Leftcoast USA
      #4167 - Sun Dec 08 2002 11:57 PM

Oh, no, I didn't mean go over and chat (although you're welcome to, anytime!)
I meant for you to submit the recipe and photos/instructions to the magazine for an article! The photos and simple explanations are a perfect combo of a large project, w/basic ingredients but some important techniques. (You might want to add a note to aid the start of the roll w/your hands, before using the tablecloth full boar.) Unless they've done something like this recently (I don't subscribe to any rags, as much as I adore all of Taunton's), I would be surprised if they didn't consider it for publication.

calvinAdministrator

Re: Potica (Poe-teet-sa) [Re: kai]
      #4168 - Mon Dec 09 2002 12:28 AM

Kai, thanks again. You mean I'm a carpenter 30 yrs, and I help bake this here potica 10 christmas's or so and you think I should submit it ? Damn, they taste it first don't they? I should send andy a loaf and ask him to pass it over the cubicle to the cooks? Whoa!

And just as a point of clarification. I'm the roller, the wife's the put it all together make it ready to roll........woman. This is a combo effort, tho I don't think I was too forthcoming with that. Ho boy, I'll catch hell now. I feel like a ghost writer.

And, no hands on that getting it to roll with the cloth. You just lift up the sheet and she gets to rolling right along. No big deal. The tip would be, don't roll it off the other side!

I'll have to ask Blodgett to proof read it, you know, see if he could add anything. He's the only author I know personally. Maybe he'd take the kid under his wing. ha ha ha.

But thanks again, and do try it if you get the chance.

Still more history. When I was little, my grandma would sit me up on a stool and I'd grind the walnuts. Old silver hand grinder, bolted to the table edge, dropping the ground meats in a bowl. Man, I ground alot of walnuts. I guess she used to crack em by hand originally. This has gotten too easy.

--------------------

markcadioliAdministrator

Reged: Apr 26 2002
Loc: Australia
      #4174 - Mon Dec 09 2002 11:30 AM

Cal

your mention of past history brings my Grandmother to mind ( on my Italian side ).....she was some cook....spend all day Sunday making handmade pasta rolled out super thin then cut by hand into strips...ravioli by hand..her fingers just flying automatically and churning 'em out. Then home made pannini in the shape of little birds....mind you the other Grandmother was pretty good too. She was Spanish. Spoilt me rotten. ( so Sue says, but I don't take too much notice of her )

calvinAdministrator

Re: Potica (Poe-teet-sa) [Re: markcadioli]
      #4175 - Mon Dec 09 2002 02:27 PM

Mark, it gives good feeling to remember doesn't it. I'm thankful I got to know that grand old woman. These memories bring me the same joy that she did when she was alive. I hope my daughter can feel good things when she pauses to remember.

And to the pasta, I remember hand cut noodles laying on the bed to dry. Wow, you stirred up a whole nother pot buddy.

--------------------

john7g

Reged: Mar 30 2008
      #13358 - Tue Jan 14 2014 09:35 PM

Found it!
if you ever see a recipe for choclate poitca on the web, it's good chance it was my grandma's. My brother posted it on his web page and a few years later when doing fmaily tree research and poitca (they go hand in hand you know) he found some lady's website on potica with grandma's recipe there word for word.

I Ljubljana you can buy it year round but it's not like the potica we know, it was made in an angle food cake pan (the kind with the center cone) an dthe layers weren't all that well defined like you get with this style.

And speaking of styles, it's very similar to what the 7g families made.

calvinAdministrator

Re: Potica (Poe-teet-sa) [Re: john7g]
      #13359 - Fri Feb 14 2014 06:04 PM

Thanks John,
I'll be hunting down that choco recipe from you.
Best of luck herding the cats at the freedom site!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16763

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Quittintime