Quittintime: door keeps shutting itself

The entire forum is open to viewing. But you must Register if you wish to post.

The Back Porch >> Tips and Tricks

Pages: 1
huck

Reged: May 05 2010
Loc: california
door keeps shutting itself
      #13019 - Thu May 13 2010 04:27 AM

I had to replace a door in an existing jamb. When I pulled the hinge pin to take the old door off, I noticed it was bent. The house has seen some abuse, so I just wrote it off to that.

But when I hung the new door, I put the hinge pin in partially, and the door kept closing itself. Then it hit me - that bent pin was intentional. Tapped it all the way in, and the door works fine, but stays open.

I knew that little trick, but had forgotten it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
calvinAdministrator

Reged: Apr 30 2002
Loc: NW Ohio
Re: door keeps shutting itself [Re: huck]
      #13021 - Thu May 13 2010 07:41 AM

Tricks, akin to magic.

But as has been seen on BT in some of the bend the pin threads, purists would suggest rehanging the door is the only proper way.

Slight of hand does have it's critics.

--------------------
Remodeling Contractor just outside the Glass City

huck

Re: door keeps shutting itself [Re: calvin]
      #13023 - Thu May 13 2010 03:22 PM

in this case, it didn't merit the extra work. hollow core door, very light. slight bend of the pin, problem solved.

calvinAdministrator

#13024 - Thu May 13 2010 05:19 PM

Often things don't merit the extra work. If it lasts and works, economy dictates the tactic used.

On the other hand, if a guy were to charge a hundred dollars for that trick I'd be hoping to have met him on a street corner...........

That's the perfect "no charge" fix. Minutes of work, satisfied customer. Perfect advertisement.

--------------------

huck

#13025 - Thu May 13 2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Often things don't merit the extra work. If it lasts and works, economy dictates the tactic used.

On the other hand, if a guy were to charge a hundred dollars for that trick I'd be hoping to have met him on a street corner...........

That's the perfect "no charge" fix. Minutes of work, satisfied customer. Perfect advertisement.

Why? I don't get it? Lawyers charge way more for less, and no one wants to meet them on a street corner for it. Heck, my insurance company charges me way more than that every month, and they don't do a freakin' thing for it! Been that way for years. And I know plenty of people that thought they were paying for something when they paid their insurance, but found out differently when they had a claim. Me, I've never had a claim, I just pay and pay. And that's OK. But beat the sh!t out of a contractor if he charges a hundred bucks to adjust a door, and uses a quick trick to do it? My mechanic charges more than that to do nothing at all, other than look at my vehicle and tell me what he thinks is wrong with it. Not even a quick trick fix, nothing. Just look. Oh yeah, that's right - we're second class citizens, we don't deserve to make any money for what we do!

calvinAdministrator

#13026 - Fri May 14 2010 08:07 AM

We just have different marketing techniques Huck.

While I agree that there are times when a customer scoffs at the idea that our work is technical, skilled and worthy of healthy reimbursement. Does that hit me the wrong way?
Sometimes it does.

And othertimes it just seals the deal that we aren't in any way a perfect match. I try to have no ill will when I come up against that line of thinking. Just tip my hat, wish them luck and go on to the next one.

Working on referral only limits my exposure to folks like that. Prior customers, suppliers or tradesmen prequalify my potential customers. When I walk in their door I'm already the good guy, the fair guy, the talented guy. Price might be the only thing keeping me from getting the job. The reputation is already taken care of. While the estimate may be higher than they expect, it already is value based.

So, while there looking at the job or maybe even doing some other project, I notice the self closing door. Or maybe they offer up that it has never stayed open......

"Let me see what I can do". 5 minutes later-it works, they're amazed, and I'm looking pretty good in their eyes. They might go back to who referred me and give some positive feedback-greatful they were introduced to my services. Or they talk me up at the neighbors bar-b-que.

It's all in how I go into the thing. I try to go in positive and build on that. Beats the heck out of an adversarial relationship.

To quantify it with my bank account is tougher. I've done countless things for nothing in hopes of future gratuities. Would I be richer had I charged for every thing at the time? Or has the good will advertising tactic paid off in the long run?

Beats me.

--------------------

huck

#13027 - Fri May 14 2010 01:58 PM

"On the other hand, if a guy were to charge a hundred dollars for that trick I'd be hoping to have met him on a street corner..........."

OK, I get it now. You'd want to meet him on a street corner, to discuss differing marketing tactics!

calvinAdministrator

#13028 - Fri May 14 2010 11:17 PM

That a boy.

I knew you'd catch on.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6816

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Quittintime